Uber Lyft Drivers and Gig Economy Workers Weekly News & Interviews: Today I have Grant McDonnell, GigGuyGrant, from London. Grant started driving rideshare for Uber in London in 2017, then like everyone Pandemic-Pivoted to Delivery April 2020. He has since continued to work only UberEats, Just Eat, and Deliveroo since. He also has a YouTube channel where he does “ride along” delivery videos, only he uses a moped to navigate the streets of London. Throughout the podcast we compare notes from here at home, to over there in London. Here are some of the topics covered:
- London YouTube Creator.
- London Rideshare TFL regulations.
- Switched from Rideshare to UberEats, Just Eat, & Deliveroo when the pandemic hit.
- Just Eat who merged with Takeaway.
- Grant’s “ride-alongs” are done from a moped recording on a GoPro8.
- Grant started driving Uber London in 2017.
- London, UK compared to USA market comparison (I was shocked to hear Grant say that London does not have a “tipping culture”).
- London App Stewart is another delivery service there, but not as reliable as the other platforms in that space.
- Position on ‘Unions’.
- Grant’s encounter meeting Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi.
- London’s new “worker” classification.
- Airport re-matching EASTER EGG for drivers here in the United States.
- London rideshare driver sign up takes 6-8 months, much tougher regulations from TFL in London, a better system for on-boarding?
- Rideshare Insurance, London TFL requires you carry Commercial.
- Congestion and Location charges paid primarily by drivers?!
- London’s push for going all Electric Vehicle’s & their problem with many people not being able to park at their homes.
- GoPro videos showing us “Grant’s London” are awesome!
- Here we put peoples food on the ground and take a picture, over there you hand peoples food to them.
- Drivers over there must be wearing their TFL badge or risk ticketing, another idea for here(?).
- Uber, Ola, Bolt, FreeNow, London rideshare companies.
- Middleton Technologies Apps: Maxymo, DUH, FlexAlert.
- Grant mentioned a company called… PARA? Awesome!!!
- London Taxes on ALL non-electric vehicles.
- Driving: Addison Lee London.
- “Union Brainwashing” –Grant McDonnell.
- Grant’s final thoughts on Uber.
Find Gig Guy Grant (Grant McDonnell):
Ready… Set… Rodeo!!!!!
Rideshare Rodeo is sponsored by Curri.com Drive for Curri: https://drivecurri.app.link/fom2uFMcCib
Drive For Curri: https://drivecurri.app.link/fom2uFMcCib
Don’t forget to catch Jason Tieri and I weekly on Fridays: TNCRadio.live (4pm-6pm PST/7pm-9pm EST)